I usually think these things are kind of cheesy, but then I saw a woman who has been filling these out for about a decade and I thought it could be kind of cool to look back on. Sooo, here it goes.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Made a decision I was certain of.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Um I did not keep most of my resolutions. One was to write a little bit every day, which amounted to random days of writing a lot and then most days writing none at all (besides at work.) Another was to lose weight. I did that one! Yay. I didn’t lose as much as I wanted, but I did lose 35 pounds. So that is happy. A third was to read more and write reviews of those books. I read a little less than average and wrote almost no reviews. Maybe I should resolve the opposite of my goals this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of my best friends Latisha gave birth to cutie Elliot!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Uncle Les died in August and my friend and former co-worker Bruce Beck died in April.
5. What countries did you visit?
I visited Canada, live in the US and also visited Texas (let’s be honest… it’s kind of its own country right?)
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I would like to have confidence. It is slowly growing, but I often feel paralyzed while trying to write and most of it is lack of confidence.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Probably none this year. And I’m glad. Most of the year was not that good.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Making an actual decision and pulling myself out of one of the worst depressions I’ve had. I think I did it without making everyone too miserable. Sorry for the grouchiness though.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being accepted to several programs I applied for. Bruised ego ensued.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had one of the worst colds I’ve ever had — I actually lost my voice– but other than that it wasn’t such a bad year. Just the typical migraines and such.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Imitrex! Ha. Really, really helps migraines. It really changed a lot for me.
12. Who merited celebration?
My baby sister, Steph! She got a really fantastic job and just all around has had a good year. I’m really proud of her.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I’m thinking I shouldn’t talk about this on a blog…..
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and bills
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The chance to visit Texas in November and visiting Oregon in August.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Not sure. I don’t listen to music that much.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier. Much happier
b) thinner or fatter? thinner!
c) richer or poorer? hmm how about less poor?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had done more writing and I wish I had gone on more hikes around the Peninsula.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Work. I worked way too much unpaid overtime and much of it was unnecessary.
20. How did you be spend Christmas?
It was low key. I talked to my parents, sister and grandparents and opened gifts over the phone with my parents. Then Heather and I opened gifts and made a Mexican meal for Christmas.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
No. Unfortunately no suitors showed up this year.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
LOST!!!!! It was the very last season of one of my favorite shows of all time.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Not really. I think I’ve done pretty well letting go of that sort of thing.
25. What was the best book you read?
Pat Conroy’s “My Reading Life”
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Susan Enan’s “Bring on the Wonder”
27. What did you want and get?
An iPhone thanks to Dad!
28. What did you want and not get?
A new laptop. Macbook Air probably. In time I’ll get one.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Chronicles of Narina: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 and I went to Victoria, went out to dinner. It was pretty low key but I enjoyed it.
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I had been the winner of the $380 million lotto ticket! haha.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Improving? haha. I learned a lot, but with the downward trending weight (yay) I am putting off reinventing my style until I discover what my body will end up looking like.
33. What kept you sane?
My family and friends.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None really this year.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Love to talk about it… but I really shouldn’t since I’m a reporter.
36. Who did you miss?
I missed my friend Mark a lot this year. I miss all my friends and family that are far away, but I feel like I make a good effort to stay in touch.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmmm there were several. Even though I knew of my “birthday buddy” Olivia (Jen Ven’s daughter) in 2009, I only got to meet her this year… and she is adorable. I also got to meet Elliot (Tisha’s baby), who is one of the happiest babies I’ve ever met. And Hannah (Jennifer’s baby) who is obviously smart and sweet even through her shyness. As far as adults it was really fantastic to meet Kira and Kaila, who are the wives of two of my childhood friends. Both of them were breaths of fresh air and very delightful women.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Sometimes it takes complete failure at what I’m trying to hard to do before I’ll even attempt what I want most.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Hate me today, hate me tomorrow, hate me for all the things I didn’t do for you. . . ” haha, well that really only sums up the first 3/4 of the year, the rest was pretty OK.